Monday 17 March 2014

Mulling on Monday

Mondays are always rubbish, aren't they? Unless you have something properly good to look forward too, everything is just a bit meh.
I, for one, have a free period every Monday morning. While I should be using this time to revise or work, I usually use it to consider the world. To ponder life's mysteries. To mull.

Today, I was considering Tumblr.

I've been a member of Tumblr for about six months, and so far, I love it. I love the people, and how there is always someone out there willing to talk to you about pretty much anything. I love how suddenly things that I love which are considered 'weird' among my friends are completely acceptable. I love that moment when you develop a mutual understanding and respect for somebody you've never met before.

My best friend and I just got to that ultimate stage of friendship where we shared Tumblr URLs. Now, we can see what the other one does, no matter how weird. We can see every fandom that the other one belongs to. Every post she makes comes straight to me, and likewise me to her. Should this worry me? I don't think so. We trust each other in real life, so why not in cyberspace?

I was sitting in my school library, considering a picture of Benedict Cumberbatch she had reblogged, when suddenly I thought of something. How many of the people around me are on Tumblr? Do I follow any of them? Do any of them follow me? What do they do? Do we share fandoms?

This really got me thinking. We chat to people online, and we chat to people in real life. These people aren't meant to cross over, not really. There are the ones we know and speak to on Facebook, and the ones we don't know and speak to on Tumblr. But, how weird would it be if one of the people I just happen to speak to in a hallway, or am randomly assigned to sit next to in assembly, is someone who I chat to regularly on a social networking platform?

And, really, are they better, more suitable friends for me than my actual friends, who I only just felt comfortable with sharing my URL with? I mean, the people of Tumblr know my fandoms, understand my weirdness. I'm not afraid to tell them something I think, because we think in a pretty similar way. Maybe my real friends don't actually know me as well.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment